Enrolling at HEPS

2025 Foundation (Prep) enrolments

The first year of primary school is called Foundation or Prep.

The statewide timeline for enrolling in Foundation (Prep) for the 2025 school year has been released.

The timeline advises families when and how to enrol their child into Foundation (Prep) at a Victorian government school. The timeline seeks to make the enrolment process simpler, clearer and fairer for families.

The timeline applies to children starting Foundation (Prep) in 2025. All government primary schools, including P-9 and P-12 schools, will follow the timeline.

If you are seeking to enrol your child in Foundation (Prep) for the 2025 school year, you should read about enrolling in a school and contact a primary school directly.

Steps to enrol your child in Foundation (Prep) for the 2025 school year

To start primary school in 2025, your child will need to turn 5 years old by 30 April 2025. Schooling is compulsory for children who have turned 6 years old.

If your child is starting Foundation (Prep) in 2025, you will be able to apply to enrol your child in Foundation (Prep) 2025 at Heathmont East Primary School from 15 April 2024.

2025 Foundation Enrolment Process

This year Heathmont East Primary School will use an online system for new enrolments. All primary schools in the Inner East and Outer East areas of the North East Victoria Region are using this online system.
The online system will be available for parents who are applying to enrol their child in Foundation (Prep) in 2025. An application form can be completed on laptops, PC’s and mobile phones. The online system will also allow you to upload documented proof of residential address.

It is important to note that the placement policy is followed by all government schools. You can view the placement policy here. Your chances of being offered a place in the schools you apply for are not advantaged or disadvantaged by using this system.

Victorian government school enrolments for Foundation (Prep) for the 2025 school year will open from Monday 15 April 2024, the start of Term 2. Families are asked to submit their enrolment application by Friday 26 July 2024 on the VicStudents portal.

You are welcome to arrange a school tour by completing the tour request form on our website or contacting the school office on 9729 5439. 

You are welcome to attend our Foundation Information Night on Thursday 16th May at 5pm.

What you need to do:

  1. Contact our school Heathmont East Primary School to book a school tour or to learn more about our school and the enrolment application process.
  2. Download the Foundation (Prep) enrolment information pack from Enrolling in Foundation (Prep) (available from 15 April 2024)
  3. Submit an enrolment application for Foundation (Prep) by Friday 26 July 2024 on the VicStudents portal
  4. You will be notified of the outcome of your application between Monday 29 July and Friday 9 August 2024. If you receive an enrolment offer, you should accept the offer by Friday 23 August 2024.
  5. Take part in enrolment information and transition sessions during Term 4, 2024
  6. Your child will start Foundation (Prep) from Wednesday 29 January 2025.

Enrolment applications submitted after 26 July 2024 will be processed by our school as they are received, in accordance with the department’s Placement Policy.

Our school is growing as fast as our community. If you’re considering enrolling your children next year, check our school zone at findmyschool.vic.gov.au

Using the “Find My School” website – FAQs

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    How can I find my local school?

    Visit findmyschool.vic.gov.au and type in your home address. The website will then locate your designated neighbourhood school.

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    How can I help someone who cannot access the internet or speak English, find their local school?

    Those requiring translation assistance can call their regional office on 1300 338 691. Free translation services are available.

    Those without internet access can call the Victorian School Building Authority (VSBA) hotline on 1800 896 950 for assistance to locate their designated neighbourhood school.

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    My child is in primary school but I want to know my local secondary school, can I find this on the website?

    Yes, all public schools, including primary, secondary and specialist schools, can be found on findmyschool.vic.gov.au. Type in your address and click on the ‘Secondary schools’ tab to find your current secondary school zone.

    The Department reviews school zones on a regular basis. As such, your school zone may change in the time period between your child enrolling in primary school and secondary school.

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    Are all schools on the website?

    All public primary, secondary and specialist schools are on findmyschool.vic.gov.au.

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    Do you have a map of Catholic and independent schools?

    For more information on Catholic schools you can contact the Catholic Education Office or visit: https://www.cem.edu.au/SchoolSearch.aspx

    For independent schools that are members of Independent Schools Victoria you can visit: https://www.is.vic.edu.au/who-we-are/member-school-details

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    What do these changes mean? Is the Department of Education and Training/the Victorian Government changing its enrolment rules for parents who want to send their children to public schools?

    There are no changes to the Department’s Placement Policy or the relevant legislation that guides every Victorian child’s right to enrol in a government school, the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic).

    Under the Placement Policy, schools are required to prioritise enrolment for students living in that school zone. This has not changed, and the Department always seeks to ensure the policy is applied consistently across the state.

    Parents who want to send their children to schools located outside of their school zone still have this choice. However, students enrolling at a school from within the school zone will have first priority. This is consistent with current policy.

    For more information, see: Placement Policy

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    How did the Department decide this was my child’s designated school?

    Designated neighbourhood schools are generally the public school within closest proximity to the student’s permanent residential address, unless the Minister for Education or Regional Director has restricted the zone of the school.

    Closest proximity is calculated as the nearest school by straight line distance in metropolitan areas (including Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo), or the nearest school by shortest practical route (in regional areas).

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    What is a Designated Neighbourhood School (DNS)?

    In Victoria, all children are entitled to be enrolled at their designated neighbourhood school as a right under the legislation. Designated neighbourhood schools are generally the public school within closest proximity to the student’s permanent residential address, unless the Minister for Education or Regional Director has restricted the zone of the school.

    For children residing in metropolitan areas, Ballarat, Bendigo or Geelong, the designated neighbourhood school is usually the nearest public school in a straight line from your child’s permanent residential address. In any other area of Victoria, it is the nearest school by the shortest practicable route by distance.

    When a new school is established, zones for neighbouring schools are adjusted to accommodate the new school. The Department works closely with schools to address the changing demographics of the local population. This process also occurs when there is any change to provision of education offered by the Government in an area as a result of a school closing or merging, or the addition or removal of a year level offered by a particular school, as approved by the Minister for Education.

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    Which schools have zone maps?

    All public primary and secondary schools, including Prep/Foundation to Year 9 and multi-campus schools have zone maps. This does not include schools with specific enrolment criteria including English Language Schools and Select Entry Schools. Specialist schools also do not have zones and have special enrolment criteria.  You can see all Specialist schools by clicking on the ‘specialist’ button.

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    What are the zones for specialist schools?

    Specialist schools are an important part of Victoria’s education landscape but do not have zones as they are not designated neighbourhood schools under the legislation. You can still search for specialist schools on findmyschool.vic.gov.au.

    Specialist schools do have designated transport zones. If you are considering enrolment at a specialist school, contact the school directly for information about designated transport zones.

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    What is the legislation that gives my children the right to enrol in their designated neighbourhood school?

    Your child or children are guaranteed the right to enrol in their local school by the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic), specifically S 2.2.13 (1), which states:

    A child of compulsory school age is entitled to be enrolled at his or her designated neighbourhood Government school.

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    Can I enrol my child at a school that is not the designated neighbourhood school?

    Children of school age have the right to be enrolled at their designated neighbourhood school. They can attend another public school of their choosing if that school has the capacity and accepts their enrolment.

    Section 2.2.14 of the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic) states:

    A child of compulsory school age may be enrolled at a Government school which is not the child’s designated neighbourhood Government school if there is sufficient accommodation for the child at that school.

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    My child already attends a school that is not their designated neighbourhood school. Do I need to do anything?

    If your child is already enrolled at that school, you do not need to do anything further. Your child will maintain their existing enrolment.

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    Can I still choose which school my child attends, or does my child have to attend their designated neighbourhood school?

    You can still request enrolment at a school that is not your designated neighbourhood school.

    That school can only accept your enrolment if there is sufficient capacity at the school.

    If a school has some capacity, but not enough to fit everyone from outside its zone, the school uses the Placement Policy to determine enrolments.

    For more information, see: Placement Policy

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    What is the Priority Order of Placement?

    The Department’s Placement Policy indicates that where there are insufficient places at a school for all students who seek entry, students are enrolled in the following priority order:

    • Students for whom the school is the designated neighbourhood school.
    • Students with a sibling at the same permanent address who are attending the school at the same time.
    • Where the Regional Director has restricted the enrolment, students who reside nearest the school.
    • Students seeking enrolment on specific curriculum grounds.
    • All other students in order of closeness of their home to the school.
    • In exceptional circumstances, compassionate grounds.

    For more information, see: Placement Policy

  • image/svg+xmlimage/svg+xml
    What are ‘compassionate grounds’ and how are they assessed?

    The Placement Policy recognises there are exceptional circumstances where a student may be unable to attend their designated neighbourhood school, or where on compassionate grounds, the student should be offered a place at another public school.

    Applications for enrolment on compassionate grounds are considered by the enrolling school, per the Placement Policy.

    For more information, download the Placement Guide:


You can download enrolment forms here. A full information pack is available from the school office.

Enrolment Form – Additional Family Only

Privacy Statement

School Info Booklet